Friday 5 August 2016

Venue Visit

After a spectacularly late rise of 11am it was out to the Edinburgh Performers Centre for midday to collect our passes. These passes offer free wifi in the centre, access to workshops I'd like to think I'll get around to going to and - most importantly - 20% off local yoga sessions. Perhaps after a few weeks of shared living and pounding the streets constantly I'll need some downward dog. Who knows, this is Edinburgh after all.

Anyway, after that I spent an hour in a park eating a flapjack and reading The Scotsman whilst pondering why both had come as a package with an I *heart* Edinburgh tote bag and, most baffling of all, a really large dispenser of suncream. Edinburgh does have its sunny moments but it was reassuring to see the cream was also waterproof given the regular downpours the city endures.

From there it was over to the new town to see Matt Duwell and Declan Kennedy's "Niche Rebels" (pictured) with a German family and a smattering of Londoners before heading back to the old town to pick up a travel guitar I'd had delivered to Argos and meet the Venue Captain for The Southsider.

The Southsider has a PA in a box but little else to suggest epic comedy shows are going to be taking place in its side room as of tomorrow. Still, the other performers were all very nice - ranging from a sketch duo straight out of university to the marvellous Jo Coffey, who's performed at Bear Jokes before and had a show here last year. Tomorrow morning shall witness some frantic 60 Minute Makeover activity from 11am when the pub opens. I may or may not import a disco light like I have at all my own nights.

The Southsider meeting was followed up by a full PBH pow-wow in Cowgate where king of the free fringe, Peter Buckley-Hill (PBH) talked through the do's and don't's of the month along with some financial overview of how everything worked. Leaving with PBH badge in hand James and I ducked into a variety show at the Three Sisters and saw some decent pro-level acts in a full room.

Given that I've got the venue set-up and two performances tomorrow, including Mirthquake's debut (if you're up here please come!), it's an earlier night than usual. I may need it if only to sleep off the slightly terrible curry and rice I cooked up upon my return. For the record, Lidl's canned "Hot Chicken Curry" not only looks like a bad case of the runs but is neither hot nor particularly chicken filled. Who knew.


Spot the new addition!

Shows Performed: 0 (0)
Bums on seats at Mirthquake: 0 (0)
Money in the Mirthquake bucket: £0 (£0)
Steps walked according to my pedometer: 19,533 (77,793) 
CDs Remaining: 100

No comments:

Post a Comment