Sunday 14 August 2016

Unexpected gig in the listings area

Today's gigs took an unexpected turn after performing 'One Shot' at lunchtime show Comedy Shorts (pictured) when, having flyered the fifty or so people leaving, I was told that the next show had cancelled last minute and with twenty people ready and waiting to watch something could I join an impromptu variety show of ten minute sets.

Not one to turn these things down I kicked off show two and had a good time with the small but perfectly formed audience. A few other acts stayed back and we were also joined by Famous First Words regular Valerio Sara, who'd been in the previous show's audience. Come exit time, flyers were duly given out and we split the bucket making me £8 richer. I also booked in another spot. Hitting the big time!

Heading up to Mirthquake I picked up some Wee Blue Books and found James flyering on the corner. Footfall was good so things looked positive. The room was empty if dirty so after a tidy up I got some music on and welcomed in twenty people. The show ran well with some really positive vibes from the attendees and plenty of joining in. The football watching noise from the bar not quite the intrusion we thought it would be. Our bucket heaved to the tune of £45.60 which broke our record so far and after watching Liverpool defeat Arsenal on the pub TVs I dropped down to Cowgate to see Ian Lane deftly amuse a bunch of people in Sabor then headed home to meet new flat-guest, my friend Louisa.

Being the organised type, Louisa had pre-booked a bunch of tickets which kicked in at 10:15 this evening for Shitfaced Shakespeare at the Udderbelly. For those who don't know, this involves a condensed one hour Shakespeare play featuring one cast member very much on the opposite end of sober. Hilarity ensues. Exceptionally good fun and proof that most of the bard's work features ridiculous plot twists at the end that wouldn't make the first round of a submission to a theatre of film studio nowadays.

The show overran so we hopped into a taxi to make Thinky Big Words at The Hanover Tap. 7 audience members witnessed James, Cressida Whetton and myself plough through 40 minutes with relaxed abandon. James announced I had a massive cock, Cressida discovered only budding comedians have temp jobs and I threw away most of the chairs separating me from the first row with people in it before discussing rock music at length and getting Dursty (sorry) with 'Clicking Like". A nice end to the day with enough change in the bucket for everyone to afford half a pint.



New show added on August 16th

Quotes of festival so far:
"Your show is the funniest one I've seen"
"I really loved your songs"
"I wish you could teach my children"

Shows Performed: 4 (24)
Bums on seats at Mirthquake: 20 (178)
Money in the Mirthquake bucket: £46.60 (£244.60)
Steps walked according to my pedometer: 15,426 (209,132) 
CDs Remaining: 83

No comments:

Post a Comment