Tuesday 23 August 2016

Monday Movements

Mondays are not usually a day when you expect a decent crowd yet somehow by 4:30pm we had a group of 20 people in the room ready for some Mirthquake. Things ran to plan and despite a couple of walk-outs towards the end it was another great gig clocked up at the fringe.

My dad arrived during my set and so afterwards we dropped his things off at the flat and then made our way across town to The Hanover Tap for the 101 Comedy Show. Avid readers of this blog will know this is the one show where I've done badly and so I was apprehensive about a repeat.

Arriving in plenty of time, I was able to check the sound level of the music and the mic and all seemed okay. The room filled to capacity and the other acts, including host Ian Miller, were really good and kept the crowd laughing constantly. I was in the middle spot and kicked off with Selfie Stick. The curse returned. This time the audience were definitely enjoying it, however because the overall sound level was low and none of the speakers pointed towards the stage I could barely hear what I was doing. The song finished with me more thankful I'd kept in time than triumphant with the applause. 

Things took a further weird twist with West End though. The track was marginally louder then the previous one but everytime I spoke into the mic the level dived down - sounding like the sort of ducking you get on a DJ mixer when the DJ wants to give shout outs to the crowd. This made the whole track somewhat or a volume based rollercoaster and suffered accordingly. Again, the crowd handled it well and I went off to applause but I'm kind of glad it's the last time I'm playing there this run.

Post-show we headed back to the other side of town for a curry before I then joined Matt Duwell and a whole bunch of comedians for Matt's birthday drinks and rock karaoke at Opium (pictured). The music was absolutely ear shattering in both main rooms but a group of us found the pool table room where we could hear each other. It was good to catch up. Finally around 3am I made my way home with chips.

Shows Performed: 2 (41)
Bums on seats at Mirthquake: 20 (312)
Money in the Mirthquake bucket: £43.50 (£445.10)
Steps walked according to my pedometer: 13,857 (308,874) 
CDs Remaining: 67



No comments:

Post a Comment