Saturday 27 February 2016

Once Upon a Mic at The Castle

A twenty minute set on a Friday night is not something that comes along too often so I was looking forward to performing at this variety night of poetry, music and comedy near Aldgate East tube station.

The other acts were a mixed bag. The poetry was intense and, at twenty minutes a time, too long for my taste. The music was stunning at times - one female singer/songwriter blew the stage away with her gaelic influenced folk; not too bad at others - the man pictured delivering some nice tunes including a Chris TT cover; and sometimes not very good at all - I will never understand what there is to be gained by watching a pub covers band rehearse for 30 minutes when I could be watching something original.

It turned out I was the only comedy act on the bill and,  after identifying my new first world problem as bands walking straight out of a gig after playing despite everyone else watching them, I launched into Phones - followed by 1 Shot, Chilling and West End. The crowd were great and joined in on everything. Every other person seemed to be recording me on their mobiles so I'll be searching for some bootleg footage in due course.

As nights go the intentions were good and the setup was excellent. The organisers may need to rethink their timings and focus to get a more general crowd in and fill the thoroughly nice room though but I would certainly return if invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment